Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Makes 8-10 servings
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 2-3 bell peppers finely chopped (I use red, green and yellow)
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBSP chopped fresh parsley
- 1 TBSP kosher salt
- 1 ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2-3 slices of bacon (optional, but it gives a nice smoky flavor)
- 5 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Soak peas:
- Place black-eyed peas in a large bowl. Add cold water to cover the peas by 3 inches
- Place in refrigerator for 12 hours.
- Prepare dressing:
- Whisk together bell peppers, scallions, garlic, olive oil, vinegars, parsley salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill dressing for up to 12 hours.
- Prepare peas:
- Drain peas from the soaking water.
- If using bacon, cook it in a large pot so that fat renders (5-7 minutes), but it is still soft (if not using bacon continue with recipe).
- Add peas and stir to distribute bacon fat.
- Add broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until peas are tender, approximately 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove bacon and drain peas.
- Transfer peas to a large bowl and add desired amount of dressing (you may have some extra), stir.
- Chill, and serve cold.
Featured in Participant Newsletter #5